Tow Pac Owners Group by www.cyclestuffinc.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Tow Pac owners, or prospective owners to discuss Tow Pac Trike kits.

Latest topics

» Steering
Rear tire EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 1:20 pm by Tony Molina

» Never Argue With a Woman
Rear tire EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 3:14 am by Guest

» New From All Over
Rear tire EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 3:14 am by Guest

» Tennessee Farm Kid
Rear tire EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 3:13 am by Guest

» How did you explain to your 4 year old...
Rear tire EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 2:51 am by Guest

» Christmas coming up

» Who's scared of zombies?

» wobble in frnt end
Rear tire EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 7:53 pm by Tony Molina

» instadrive
Rear tire EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:44 pm by Bob

Navigation

Affiliates

4 posters

Rear tire

Ms. Ed
    Ms. Ed

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2009-03-20

Rear tire Empty Rear tire

Post by Ms. Ed Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:18 am

Tony,
    First off thank you for these Forums, they are a great help.
    My question deals with rear tire issues on my wifes Silverwing Scooter with the 12" wheel kit. I've noticed that the rear tire is wearing unevenly, just the center contact area, a no brainer of course as the bike no longer "leans" but rather stays vertical all the time.
    Do you know of anyone with these kits doing it , or see an issue, in using a "dark side" (auto tire) replacement when time comes for a change? The bike will never be used in two wheel mode again, she loves the kit, and I know "real" trikes use auto tires in the rear so I do not think it's a big deal but your the pro.
    In researching I've found the Sumitomo 165/70TR13 seems to be the unit of choice, it fits the rim and many are using it as a replacement.

Thanks

Ed Rogers
    Tony Molina
    Admin

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2008-11-20

Rear tire Empty Re: Rear tire

Post by Tony Molina Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:04 pm

While I have not used a auto tire....I think it sounds like a very logical idea...a very good idea. I have fielded the question many many times and simply don't know.
    The advantages are:

-Better tire life (because auto tires are made from a harder rubber compound)
    -More contact patch with the road...better traction
    -Auto tires are cheaper
    -more even tire wear

I cannot think of any disadvantages....

Hope this helps...good luck

Tony Molina
    Cycle Stuff
    615-535-1186
    www.cyclestuff.org
    Armdillo

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

Rear tire Empty rear tire

Post by Armdillo Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:06 am

i have used the car tire on my valkyrie, if you go to a valk meeting/rally lots of them use the car tire.

problems--no one in the area would mount it.... had to do it myself. others have had some luck. loved it - valks eat tires. the dealer had it off the valkyrie hours after the trade in. put on a 90 degree valve stem while you have it off. front and rear. i hate trying to add air with the stock stems.

my burgman rear has about 7500 miles - over 3000 with the tow pac, even without topac it got the flat spot.. check out the burgmanusa site. there is a thread about a new tire with a thicker mid section, to help compensate for that. the front has 15,000 miles on it. will change it next.

the car tire makes sense for trikes, side cars cause of the lack of lean. i liked mine. and it was my intention to do the same with the burman if i do not sell the towpac from my bike. (see for sale ad, here and burgmanusa)

good luck mike
    twooldfarmers

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2009-10-07

Post by twooldfarmers Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:23 pm

radial tires? anyone replacing the stock 4.80x12 Carlisle ST bias plys with a radial carcass or is that just not recommended in their postion as a non steerable outrigger?
    Tony Molina
    Admin

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2008-11-20

Post by Tony Molina Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:35 pm

twooldfarmers wrote:radial tires? anyone replacing the stock 4.80x12 Carlisle ST bias plys with a radial carcass or is that just not recommended in their postion as a non steerable outrigger?

If you can fit a radial tire on the wheels...I wouldn't see any disadvantages. You should see more even tread wear due to better load distribution, more durable etc. I say go for it!!!

Tony Molina
    Cycle Stuff
    615-535-1186
    www.cyclestuffinc.com

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 am