Tow Pac Owners Group by www.cyclestuffinc.com

Tow Pac Owners Group by www.cyclestuffinc.com

A place for Tow Pac owners, or prospective owners to discuss Tow Pac Trike kits.

Latest topics

» Steering
Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:20 pm by Tony Molina

» Never Argue With a Woman
Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:14 am by Guest

» New From All Over
Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:14 am by Guest

» Tennessee Farm Kid
Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:13 am by Guest

» How did you explain to your 4 year old...
Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:51 am by Guest

» Christmas coming up

» Who's scared of zombies?

» wobble in frnt end
Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:53 pm by Tony Molina

» instadrive
Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:44 pm by Bob

Shopmotion

Navigation

Affiliates

Thinking of getting a kit

chrisflhx

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2009-01-10

Thinking of getting a kit

Post by chrisflhx on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:45 pm

I am looking to convert my 2006 HD FLHX Streetglide to a trike. This kit looks like a very good system rather than making my Bike a trike for life. Are there any things I should be aware of in riding one of these conversions?? I have never ridden a trike. Do they shimmy? Are they stable in turns?? Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Chris
    BJ Richardson

Registration date : 2008-11-23

Re: Thinking of getting a kit

Post by BJ Richardson on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:32 pm

Chris, I put a used 8" instatrike on my wife's little Honda Shadow. I took it down the freeway at about 80 with no issues. I did some pretty tight and quick figure 8's in a store parking lot. It was quite stable. I have followed my wife to observe the conversion and I never did see any "wheel lift" on the curves or corners.
    Personally, to be honest, I don't care much for it, but Elaine loves it. You have to "drive" the "trike". You don't countersteer or lean into the curves. It would take some getting used to. The advantage is, of course, you can convert back to two wheels easily.
    BJ

Tony Molina
    Admin

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2008-11-20

Post by Tony Molina on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:48 am

chrisflhx wrote:I am looking to convert my 2006 HD FLHX Streetglide to a trike. This kit looks like a very good system rather than making my Bike a trike for life. Are there any things I should be aware of in riding one of these conversions?? I have never ridden a trike. Do they shimmy? Are they stable in turns?? Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Chris

The really nice thing about the kit is if you find that it isn't for you, you aren't stuck with your decision. You can EASILY sell your kit if this turns out to be the case.
    "Shimmy issues" are something that can be resolved in most cases simply by making a few adjustments (i.e. tire pressure, checking frame alignment, tension arm adjustments).
    It will take a little getting used to, you go from counter-steering to steering with the kit. The steering will be a bit stiffer and the first time you ride it you will be shocked in how different it is--keep in mind that this is the case with any trike (kit of conversion).
    I really hope this helps, please don't hesitate in asking if you have any other questions!

Tony Molina
    Cycle Stuff
    615-535-1186
    www.cyclestuff.org

Last edited by Tony Molina on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected contact info)
    Smrf

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2008-12-04

Post by Smrf on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:12 am

For whatever reason you are considering 'triking' your bike remember the bike won't lean anymore...I can't say that enough...people who consider and get rid of it the first time or freak out when testing my bike don't like the way it steers even no matter how much you warn them. You'll have to hold onto the handlebars when going on turns cuz centripical force will try to throw you off...but if trike kit fits your need I'm happy with my kit. Another word of advice..if you're having someone install it try to find someone who's done the Tow-Pac install before.

Sharon01

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2008-11-21

Post by Sharon01 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:05 pm

My husband has one on his yahama v classic 1100 he's going to be 74 and needed the help to keep the bike up to many fall overs and I was just to nervious when he went out, not any more. I can't wait to get the money to put one on my 250 rebel, I have bad knees and need the help now too.

Tony Molina
    Admin

Post by Tony Molina on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:32 pm

chrisflhx wrote:I am looking to convert my 2006 HD FLHX Streetglide to a trike. This kit looks like a very good system rather than making my Bike a trike for life. Are there any things I should be aware of in riding one of these conversions?? I have never ridden a trike. Do they shimmy? Are they stable in turns?? Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Chris

As far as riding the bike, you will have to get used to the fact that you will no longer lean and counter steer. You will steer into the curve--you get used to it.
    They can shimmy in the front end...this is typically alleviated by a few adjustments to the kit.
    The bikes are very stable in turns, you will just want to get used to the feel before you start getting wild with it!!

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions, or want to place an order, feel free to give us a call!

Take care,

Tony Molina
    Cycle Stuff
    615-535-1186
    www.cyclestuff.org

Last edited by Tony Molina on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

chrisflhx

Post by chrisflhx on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:26 am

OK...I have decided on getting the Tow Pac! I am getting it from a dealer in Hampton, GA. I am letting them install it for me. I am getting the one with the 12" wheels. I will write again as soon as I ride it and let you all know my experiences......
    Chris
    PS Thank you all for your words of wisdom and information too!!!
    Thanks
    Chris Smile javascript:emoticonp('Smile')

Tony Molina
    Admin

Post by Tony Molina on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:02 pm

chrisflhx wrote:OK...I have decided on getting the Tow Pac! I am getting it from a dealer in Hampton, GA. I am letting them install it for me. I am getting the one with the 12" wheels. I will write again as soon as I ride it and let you all know my experiences......
    Chris
    PS Thank you all for your words of wisdom and information too!!!
    Thanks
    Chris Smile javascript:emoticonp('Smile')

Glad we could help. I just recently learned that with the Street Glide, that the rear fender skirt cannot be used, so it will need to come off. If we can help in any other way, please let us know!

Tony Molina
    Cycle Stuff
    615-535-1186
    www.cyclestuff.org

Last edited by Tony Molina on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected contact info)

chrisflhx

Post by chrisflhx on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Yes, I figured it would have to come off, my dealer said maybe a cut of the skirt would do it..he was reserving his answer until the kit got to him.
    Thanks again everyone for the answers and commments.....

chrisflhx

Post by chrisflhx on Wed May 20, 2009 1:13 pm

A change of plans here...After all the great information from Tony, I have decided to order the kit from him and install it myself. Thanks for all your information! You have gone the "extra mile" to help with all my questions!
    I'll keep you up to date on the installation....
    Thanks a million!

Chris Crawford
    chrisflhx@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:42 am